Site History

Boston Road lies adjacent to Uxbridge Road, the history of which can be traced back to the early 18th century where revenue from tolls made it possible for the road to be surfaced with all-weather compacted gravel.

The road attracted a high number of travellers, giving rise to a network of inns including the Viaduct, the Duke of Wellington and the Duke of York. Over the decades, retailers sought to make the most of the busy trade along the road by opening shops between the inns.In 1901 the electric tram service from Acton to Southall started. This opened up Hanwell further. Five years after the tram link to Brentford had opened houses were built on both sides of Boston Road.

Boston Road

the site

the site

1850

the site

1875

the site

1914

the site

1957

the site

The Site & Local Character

Existing Site Plan - Vantage Points

the site

Local Character

the site

the site

the site

the site

the site

the site

the site

the site

the site

the site

the site

the site

Menu
Mobile logo